Monday, November 10, 2008

Imagination, the forgotten gift

Imagination is the greatest gift you give to yourself. Yet, our culture that does not encourage or support imagining.

We are taught from an early age to “get real.” Remember back to your early years of crayons and blank paper? You were taught to draw what is, not what was possible. Ever try coloring the sky purple or a tree trunk blue? Likely you were quickly corrected and set on the “right” path.

Albert Einstein said, “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world and all there ever will be to know and understand."

What keeps us from imagining? Fears of failure, feeling unworthy of success, or focus on the “doingness” of life are all possible causes.

In this moment my own life is one of pure blessing. I have deep and loving relationships. I am financially secure and prosperous. My health is better than it has ever been in my life, and I am 53! And this is not where I began. Having quality relationships was not something that came easy to me. Prosperity too has been elusive. My health has been hampered by my environment and my history of childhood illness.

In each of these areas of my life, I had to put aside what I thought I knew. Not in a gentle way, but in a tear it down and haul it to the dump kind of way. After clearing out what I “knew” about relationship, prosperity, and health, I began to imagine new possibilities.

Out of this space of imagination, I began to put structure and form in place. Gradually just like building a home, each piece built on the other until my dreams began to form solid structures that I now experience every day.

Imagination is even more important in these challenging economic times. It is easy to be caught up in the news of the day, or the negativity of your partner or neighbor.

Your life today was created by the choices you made in the past. Your life tomorrow will come into being with the choices you make today.

Are you going to limit your choices today to what you know? Or are you going to listen to the wisdom of Einstein and imagine the possibility of your life?

Nothing bigger was ever created without first imagining a bigger possibility. Is there anything in your life you would like to change? Imagine it so.

May prosperity be yours,

Mackey McNeill, CPA/PFS
President and CEO
Mackey Advisors
www.CultivatingProsperity.com
859-331-7755
Mackey@CultivatingProsperity.com

1 comment:

David Small said...

I too feel very fortunate, much aligned with your comments. I feel I am holding all the right cards. The market is amazing, I am looking forward to riding the bull.
Thanks for the opportunity to blog here. I think it will be fun.