Thursday, July 23, 2009

Red Sunflower Farm

I know I usually blog about financial or economic related topics, but today I’m going to take a break from all that and write about some subjects near and dear to my heart—namely Red Sunflower Farm and gardening. After all, it is summer and everyone’s looking to slow down, take it easy and enjoy themselves.

Red Sunflower Farm is a farm owned by my husband Barry and myself. It’s located on twenty-one acres in Independence, Kentucky. We took an existing ranch house and redid it to be more Earth-friendly; for example, we now have a geo-thermal system, a 10,000 gallon cistern, and a wood stove. Barry’s favorite part of the house is his commercial size sink; mine is the food dehydrator that allows us to preserve and enjoy the fruits and veggies we grow in the summer all year long. We are fortunate to have a creek on our property as well as a quarter-acre pond full of catfish and bluegills.

We have a large and bountiful garden. I try to take time each week to step back from my work at Mackey Advisors and clear my mind by gardening. So far this summer I have shared with my friends and co-workers many delicious offerings including fresh vegetables and zucchini bread.

I would like to invite you all to one of our open houses at Red Sunflower Farm. Open houses are typically held on the third Sunday of each month. Barry and I take the time to do farm tours and share with our old friends, family, and new friends our love of our land as well as our insights and experiences with sustainable living. Feel free to bring your children to have fun and play as well—weather permitting, kickball games are often a big hit with our visitors. These open houses are potluck events, so bring something to be shared and enjoyed by all, and have your walking shoes on in preparation for the farm tour and a wildflower walk. Hope to see you there!

Mackey’s Zucchini Bread

2 cups peeled grated zucchini
3 eggs
2 cups sugar*
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts

Beat eggs, add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Bake in a greased loaf pan for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Let cool; serve while still warm. Enjoy!

*If you don’t like a lot of sugar, feel free to use less; I usually do and the bread has more of a naturally sweetened flavor.

No comments: