Monday, October 20, 2008

Finding Common Ground

If you know me, you know I consider myself a progressive.

I also see myself as tolerant of other people’s views. But under closer examination, maybe not so tolerant.

My friend, JoAnne Hilliard of Lexington KY sent me this link to an insightful and engaging video that provides profound insight into our moral selves. After watching it, my heart filled with compassion for those I have often seen as unwilling to change or maybe even stubborn!

I live my life, very comfortably, as a change agent. The video helped me see that that is a world view and gave me compassion for those in my life who are not so change embracing.

As we approach the election with widening division within our country, we have to ask ourselves, “How do we gain compassion with each other, so that after November 4th, we move forward together to solve the challenges we face?”

This video is a great start to that conversation.

Like most TED presentations it is about 20 minutes, so grab a cup of tea, relax and enjoy.

Jonathan Haigt on conservative and liberal openness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc

No comments: