Saturday, December 12, 2009

Favorite Holiday Tradition

Several years ago, I began a holiday tradition with my family. I bake them a tin of their favorite cookies, and they give me a list of their Top 10 Best Things of the Year. On Christmas day they read the list out loud, embellishing each item. One the performance is over, they get their tin of cookies.

Not only is this great fun, it makes wonderful memories. I keep all the Top 10 lists in a notebook. I never tire of walking down memory lane with the Top 10 list book.

My daughter always asks for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip. Below is the recipe I modified from my Mother's oatmeal nut cookie recipe.

Enjoy

Sarah’s Christmas Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
350 degrees, 10 minutes
• 1 C butter
• ½ C brown sugar
• 1 C granulated sugar
• ½ t vanilla
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 ¼ c sifted plain flour
• 1 t baking soda
• ½ t salt
• ½ t cinnamon
• 3 C oatmeal
• 1 bag chocolate chips
• ½ c nuts if you like
Turn oven on to preheat. Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add vanilla and eggs and mix well. Sift flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add flour mixture to butter, sugar and egg mixture. Beat until mixed, but do not beat longer than what is required to mix. Add oatmeal and chocolate chips.
Drop by teaspoon onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Mackey McNeill CPA/PFS
Mackey Advisors
www.CultivatingProsperity.com

No comments: